Don’t Give Up (you are loved)


I have been tempted to give up many times in my life.
When I was a teenager I wanted to give up on everything in life because of intense internal turmoil.
When I was in college I wanted to give up on school when I couldn’t finish my courses on time.
When I started my first job as a part-time youth pastor I wanted to give up because it was brutally tough at times working two jobs.
When I went on my medical leave in 2007 I wanted to give up because I couldn’t see how I could function in my role as a pastor any more.
I wish I could say that I persevered in all of these circumstances but I can’t. I did choose to give up in some of these circumstances.
I can say though that the times that I did persevere it was mostly because I had people who came alongside me and encouraged me to keep moving forward.
These people encouraged me to not give up.
These people helped me lift the “weight” that I was carrying.
These people listened to my pain.
These people believed in me when I didn’t believe in myself.
These people loved me.
It is so much easier to keep moving forward in life when we have people supporting us in these ways. We need these types of people in our lives but we can’t just stop there!
We also need to be reminded that God is the only one who can perfectly fulfill all of these needs in our lives. Unfortunately, people will sometimes fail us and let us down in our time of need but God never will!
When we are feeling alone, hurt and beaten up and everything in us wants to give up, we need to remember God is always there to support and encourage us (even though we may not feel His presence in the moment).
He has given us His Holy Spirit to comfort us and encourage us in our time of need.
He is always there to help us carry the “weight” that we are carrying.
He is available 24/7 to listen to our pain and hurts.
He, more than anyone else, believes in us and loves us unconditionally.
We are His precious creation and He wants what is best for us.

No comments: